The just announced Snapdragon 805 is definitely a significant step forward for Ultra-HD video on mobile platforms. I am surprised at how fast Qualcomm moves to support Ultra HD (4K) since adoption of Ultra HD is still very limited even on large screens.
The new Adreno 420 GPU is impressive and provides spport to render as well as capture 4K video. Coupled with 4 Krait CPUs running at 2.5 GHz per core, the Snapdragon 805 will support HQV video post processing and hardware HEVC H.265 decode. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it is an UltraHD home theater in your pocket, but it certainly would help push the creation of handheld 4K content for early adopters of Ultra HD video. I look forward to see new handsets with this capability.
- Netflix Ultra HD 4K Streaming Tests Begin (cepro.com)
- New Technology! 4K or Ultra HD TV: what you need to know (erinlyyc.wordpress.com)
- Netflix Starts Testing 4K Ultra-HD Videos Ahead of 2014 Launch (iClarified.com)
- 4K HD now officially known as Ultra HD – let the next-gen HDTV confusion begin (venturebeat.com)
- What is 4K or is it Ultra HD ? (krestencoremans.wordpress.com)